Our Chaplaincy Team, helps us to keep focused on ensuring that we, ‘make Christ known and loved.’ (Bishop of Middlesbrough, the Right Reverend Terence Drainey) in our school.
The role of the Chaplaincy Team at St Aelred’s is to:
- Work as a team to support and develop the spiritual life of the school;
- Help others become closer to God – through prayer, scripture, song, and through encounters with others;
- Encourage others to take part in prayer opportunities by talking about why we pray, encouraging prayer in different forms and showing that it can celebratory, reflective, peaceful, calming;
- Deepen understanding of the liturgical seasons and special days, including saints’ days, through liturgy and prayer.
- Lead us in prayer for those who are sad, lonely, ill, or in need of our help.
Members of the Chaplaincy team are taught how to plan and lead collective worship in class and then are able to support others throughout the school to do the same. They lead regular lunchtime prayer groups, and support preparation for liturgies and Masses.